Dr. Brian McDaniel, a 2018 California Teacher of the Year and National Teacher of the Year Nominee, is a music educator who has raised over $1,000,000 through grants, donations, sponsorships, and fundraisers to ensure access for every child in his program. As an educator for 12 years, he has successfully built award winning Elementary, Middle and High Schools music programs, serves in Leadership with various school and teacher organizations, and is an Educational Justice Advocate who is passionate about helping students overcome obstacles through academic opportunities. Choosing to serve in a Title I schools, he founded The Regiment, his student-led music organization that serves as a safety net for students; helping kids to overcome the trials of school and life. The Regiment continuously improves school climate and academic performance by living up to their motto of rising “Beyond All Expectations”.
"We have the power to pave our own path to success.”
California Department of Education, Los Angeles.
Workshop Presenter: Title I Conference, 2018.
California Department of Education, Pomona.
Keynote Speaker, Extended Learning, 2018.
University of Redlands and Corona Norco USD
Guest Speaker, Better Together Summit. 2018.
California State University, San Bernardino
Keynote Speaker, Credential Commencement. 2018.
California Teachers Association, Los Angeles
Guest Speaker, State Council. 2018.
Ted Herman Orchestra, Indian Wells
Guest Band, Jazz Ensemble. 2015, 2017.
College of the Desert, Palm Desert
Guest Band, Wind Symphony. 2014.
Community & Cultural Affairs, City of Desert Hot Springs
Commissioner. 2012, 2013.
University of California, Riverside
Guest Band, Steel Drum Orchestra. 2012.
University of Redlands
Author, Dissertation: Academic Achievement Between Title I Students Enrolled in Music. 2011.
California Education Research Association, San Francisco
Presenter, 88th Annual Conference. 2009.
University of California, Los Angeles
Guest Band, Golden Eagle Regiment. 2007, 2010.
Awards & Nominations
- Global Teacher Prize Top 50 Finalist. 2019.
- Grammy Music Educator Award Nominee. 2018.
- Life Changer of the Year Nominee. 2018.
- Street Naming: Dr. Brian McDaniel Way, City of Desert Hot Springs. 2018
- National Teacher of the Year Nominee. 2018.
- California Teacher of the Year. 2018.
- Riverside County Teacher of the Year. 2018.
- Mayoral Proclamation: Dr. Brian McDaniel Day, City of Desert Hot Springs. 2017.
- Palm Springs Unified School District High School Teacher of the Year. 2017.
- Painted Hill Middle School Teacher of the Year. 2017.
- Big Heart Award: Middle School Teacher of the Year, Desert Hot Springs Rotary. 2016.
- Palm Springs Unified School District High School Teacher of the Year. 2014.
- Desert Hot Springs High School Teacher of the Year. 2014.
Under my Direction:
- California Teacher of the Year Gala in Sacramento, Featured Ensemble. 2018.
- Hollywood Heritage Music Festival, Grand Sweepstakes. 2017.
- San Francisco Heritage Music Festival, Grand Sweepstakes. 2011, 2014, 2016.
- International Festival of Gold Invitational, Los Angeles, Featured Ensemble. 2015.
- Southern California Judging Association, California State Champions. 2013, 2014.
- Anaheim Heritage Music Festival, Grand Sweepstakes. 2012.
- McCallum Theater Open Call, Finalist. 2011, 2012.
- The Desert Theatre League, Best Musical Director Nominee . 2009, 2014.
- Chicago Heritage Music Festival, Second Place Jazz Ensemble. 2008.
- New York Heritage Music Festival, Third Place Concert Band. 2007.